Rachel's Blog: Goodbye 2008
Sat, 03 Jan 2009
In 2008, I
- Won a bunch of competitions. Books; tickets to see Edward Scissorhands (the, I kid you not,"dance-ical". It was dreadful.); and best of all, a year's supply of cat food.
- Had my first paid publication, uh, published in Midnight Echo.
- Read 65 books. I was aiming to read my height in books, but fell 11.5 books short. This is how I established my book-height.
The best one I read for the year would have to be Margo Lanagan's Tender Morsels. Amazing stuff. I heart it a lot. Close second would be The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. The best non-fic read in 2008 was What's Happening to Our Girls? by Maggie Hamilton. I was made nauseous by this book and had to put it down at regular intervals for some deep breathing. I don't think it's just because I have a young daughter either. It's just so different to my experiences 20 years ago.
- Watched 91 films. I was casually aiming for 100, but not bothered at all by not getting there. A lot of those 91 I had seen before, and saw repeatedly. Best of the year, Juno, followed closely by Sweeney Todd.
- Began reviewing episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with Alisa at Shiny.
- Wrote no book reviews (for shame!).
- Began craft blogging at Cobalt and Cochineal. Hah! You didn't know that did you? Well, it's only new and I'm still figuring out what to put there. Apart from all the stuff I make and then give away but don't want to forget about.
- Was grumpy a lot.