Richard Jones' Log: HTPC update
It's been a while since the last HTPC update. After that post, I'd actually given up and turned the thing into my new desktop machine. The uber video card I own didn't fit in the case so well, but I did get it going ;)
Anyway, we now have a new TV which sports VGA and DVI inputs. Aha! No more relying on the TV-Out (which as far as I know still isn't fixed in the Unichrome drivers). I duly re-purpose the machine as HTPC again, and reinstall all the bits I need. Unfortunately, the IRQ cascade problem I ran into last time has just gotten worse, and the on-board VGA is uselessly slow. A crappy second-hand video card (with DVI output) later, and I'm now plugged into the TV.
Now, the TV docs say it's got a resolution of 1360x768 pixels, but there's no info on refresh rates. I know it does basic VESA modes, as a 1024x768x60 mode works. I spent about an hour trying to figure the modeline for a 1360x768 display, only to be told each time by the TV that the display was out of range. In desperation, I decided to go back to modes that I knew worked and then work up to 1360 from there, so I enabled a standard 1280x768 mode. Worked fine on the TV ... except the TV reports it as 1360x768. No amount of modeline tweaking can get a stable 1360-wide display, so I'm just sticking with 1280-wide and a slight display stretching.
From there, I've just been slowly configuring up MythTV. Got sound working (including pass-through of AC3 decoding on the optical audio link), DVDs play, and do wide-screen just fine (if the DVD is encoded correctly, hurm), our music collection is on there and playing. I can tune TV manually with xine, but haven't managed to configure MythTV to show TV yet. So almost there...